- This event has passed.
GPIA Monthly Webinar Series: Global Pandemics in an Unequal World
April 28, 2020 @ 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
Monthly Webinar: Global Pandemics in an Unequal World hosted by The New School Julien J. Studley Programs in International Affairs and co-sponsored with Health Policy Watch.
As COVID-19 unfolds as a global pandemic of unprecedented reach and proportions, one thing that is clear is that it is reinforcing. Not only are low income and marginalized populations more exposed to risks, the pandemic is likely to entrench inequalities within and between countries. The institutions of 21st-century neoliberal capitalism are ill-equipped to protect the vulnerable, promote the public interest, and prioritize health over commercial profits. This webinar series asks: what are the public policies, civil society action, social movements, norms and values, discourses we need – local, national and global – to combat inequalities and promote a more egalitarian and sustainable pandemic response.
Session 1: COVID-19 and Global Inequality
- Sakiko Fukuda-Parr (Professor and Director of International Affairs, The New School) (Moderator)
- Winnie Biyanyima (Executive Director, UNAIDS)
- Mandeep Daliwal (Director, HIV/AIDS and Human Rights, UNDP)
- Nicoletta Dentico (Global health policy analyst, journalist)
- Manjari Mahajan (Associate Professor, The New School)
- Aleetha Maybank (Chief Health Equity Officer, American Medical Association) (TBC)
Zoom Link: Forthcoming