The Permanent Mission of Norway in New York represents Norway at the United Nations and is located within walking distance of the UN headquarters in Manhattan. We share offices with the Norwegian Consulate General. The Mission has 32 employees covering a broad set of areas in the UN such as development, peace and security, human rights, humanitarian and international law issues, elections, education, health and climate.
Norway has been elected for a non-permanent seat at the UN Security Council for the period of 2021-22. This provides an exciting opportunity to be part of our team as a Junior Policy Adviser. The position is temporary for a period of 10 months starting on November 1, 2020 (negotiable).
The areas of responsibility include (but are not limited to);
- Work on reports and statements, as well as covering meetings in the areas of peace and security, development and humanitarian assistance and international law.
- Assist in the planning and execution of Security Council-related events, such as briefings and meetings
- Manage relevant correspondence to and from the Security Council and its subsidiary bodies, including sanctions committees
- Assist in the drafting and review of relevant Council interventions
- Contribute to negotiations on relevant mandates, resolutions, and communiqués
- Follow and report on Council proceedings, including those of subsidiary bodies
The position may also include administrative tasks for the Mission, and the employer reserves the right to change the job content as needed.
- Higher level of general education, preferably a College Degree
- International experience and background from multilateral work
- Knowledge of the United Nations is preferred
- Excellent command of English is necessary.
- Knowledge of Norwegian language is an advantage
- Full computer literacy with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Sense of order, accuracy and punctuality
- Ability to cope under high work pressure
- Ability to solve problems and challenges at hand
- Good service, communication and collaborative skills
- Wages according to agreement, and a choice of medical insurance.
- An inclusive, positive and dynamic work environment, where all are engaged in the day-to-day decision-making.
- Opportunity to engage with a broad network in the diplomatic and international community of New York.
- Regular working hours are 37,5 hours per week, Monday to Friday. Daily working hours are to be agreed upon appointment. Occasional weekend work will be required. At times, when necessary, the junior policy adviser will be expected to work additional hours.
- Under US State Department requirements, we only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, candidates who are US citizens, US Permanent Residents or G1 visa holders. If you hold a visa other than a G1 visa you are not currently eligible to work at our office.
- Staff recruited locally are subject to terms and conditions of service in accordance with US, state, and/or local employment law.
- All applicants must apply at the designated online portal. Applicants are expected to attach a CV/resume and cover letter.
- The Permanent Mission of Norway to the United Nations is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and to creating a diverse working environment, free from discrimination, where everyone is included and treated fairly, based on merit alone. We are an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions without regard to race, gender, religion, national origin, color, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or other category protected by law.
Application deadline October 15.
For inquiries, please contact:
Consul, Viggo Jørgensen, firstname.lastname@example.org