Job Announcement Job Title:
Outreach Coordinator Organization: Hackensack Riverkeeper, Inc.
Location: 231 Main Street, Hackensack, NJ 07601; seasonal travel between Hudson,
Bergen, and Rockland Counties
Job Type: Full Time
Compensation: Commensurate with experience; Min. $35,000 + medical benefits
Start Date: Immediate
Hackensack Riverkeeper is a clean-water advocacy organization working to protect, preserve, and restore the Hackensack River Watershed. We accomplish our mission through a four-fold strategy of advocacy, action, education, and enforcement; our ongoing efforts mean protected wetlands, cleaned-up toxic sites, restored habitats, better public access, and a new appreciation for the “River of Many Bends.” Join the crew! We seek an outgoing and dynamic outreach coordinator to shepherd and grow our volunteer programs and community outreach initiatives. If you are passionate about environmental issues and are seeking a fun, fast-paced, highly collaborative and unique office environment – with ample opportunity to also work outside – please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis, until the position is filled. Position Description: The Outreach Coordinator reports to the Executive Director/Riverkeeper and works collaboratively with other key staff members. This member of the team is responsible for volunteer coordination, event-planning, email & social media marketing, outreach and exhibiting. Primary duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Organize all aspects of the River Cleanup Program and Corporate River Stewardship Program, including planning, promotions, and logistics for an ever-growing number of weekday and weekend river cleanup events (litter and debris removal) throughout Rockland, Bergen, and Hudson Counties
- Develop and steward corporate and community relationships
- Coordinate planning, promotions, and logistics for the Reservoir Paddle Series: three annual kayaking/canoeing events in Rockland and Bergen Counties
- Help plan and execute other outreach and fundraising events, i.e. annual Earth Day festival, annual gala
- Oversee all volunteer activities, i.e. newsletter-mailing “parties”
- Organize annual Volunteer Appreciation Dinner • Apply for grants, secure corporate sponsorship, and solicit in-kind donations to support River Cleanup Program • Manage all email and social media marketing, including weekly emails, daily posts, and special campaigns, i.e. Giving Tuesday
- Generate graphics for online/offline promotions and publications
- Exhibit at events throughout the year to promote Hackensack Riverkeeper’s mission
- Research and develop new volunteer programs and projects, specifically in the areas of citizen-science General- All staff members are required to attend a number of evening/weekend events throughout the year, and to help with various “ALL HANDS” duties, like boat maintenance. Compensatory time is given for extra hours worked.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- The ideal candidate has training or experience in one or more the following: volunteer-coordination, event-planning, outreach and communications, fundraising, not-for-profit, and/or environmental science
- Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications: Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Proficient in social media platforms, i.e. Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Familiarity with Constant Contact or similar e-mail marketing platforms
- Familiarity with Adobe creative software and/or other graphic design platforms, i.e. Canva
- Must be able to work several weekends per month (compensatory time off during the week) Skills and Competencies:
- Team-player with a sense of humor, who enjoys working collaboratively
- Passionate about environmental issues and public-interest work
- Proven ability to multitask, prioritize, and problem-solve
- Flexible, able to adapt to a busy and changing schedule of activities
- Self-starter, capable of working independently
- Familiarity with Bergen/Hudson Counties a plus
- Experience with kayaking, canoeing, safe-boating a plus
- CPR & First Aid certification a plus Physical Requirements: The position requires working outdoors in all-weather conditions, several times per month during program season (March-November). Candidate must be willing to load/unload company transit van and drive van while towing canoes. Candidate must know/be willing to learn how to carry and help launch canoes.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com. For more information about Hackensack Riverkeeper, please visit our website at http://www.hackensackriverkeeper.org or call 201-968-0808. Hackensack Riverkeeper is an equal opportunity employer.