Position Description – SCEPA Research Associate (Spring, Fall 2020).
The Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA) is seeking a New School student to serve as a research associate for Spring 2020 with the potential to extend to Fall 2020. The associate would work on a range of economic policy issues including work/labor markets, income inequality, technology, market structure, and social impact; and the intersection of all of the above. The position requires both an analytic capacity, but more importantly an ability and desire to translate ideas, policy recommendations, and research into compelling stories, narratives, and arguments that resonate with thought leaders, policymakers, and the broader public. The position would report to Bridget Fisher, Associate Director at SCEPA, and would work closely with John Irons, an economist affiliated with SCEPA, and who is also a fellow at MIT, Stanford, and New America.
- Help prepare reports, presentations, briefs, opinion pieces – aimed at both technical and non-technical audiences — including writing solo or with a team, and with thorough editing. (50%);
- Provide analytic support (data analysis and interpretation) for research and analytic reports; and design compelling data visualizations (20%);
- Conduct background research and literature review for relevant projects (20%);
- Attend weekly SCEPA team meetings and meetings or phone calls with partners (10%).
- Strong communication skills, especially in writing and editing for both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Experience with standard office tools – such as Microsoft Office, Google Docs/Sheets, and/or iOS-based office tools;
- Optional: Knowledge of one or more US data sets related to the US labor market (CPS, ACS, SIPP, SCF) or at least a willingness to learn and collaborate.
- Optional: Experience working with one or more data management or statistical programs, or at least a willingness to learn and collaborate.
To apply: please submit a resume/cv as well as two writing samples (preferably one technical, and one creative piece; +graphic design projects welcome as well) to Michelle Altman at email@example.com.
Deadline: There is no deadline, but we hope to make a decision by the end of February, 2020, so please submit or indicate an interest ASAP. All are welcome!