The Initiatives Department within NYCEDC seeks to understand the rapidly changing landscape of NYC’s key economic sectors, and develop and implement innovative initiatives that address specific challenges and opportunities in them.
Initiatives as a department creates, launches and manages portfolios of projects that partner with and impact the following industries and sectors: media, tech (e.g. AR/VR, cybersecurity, AI, Blockchain), urban innovation & sustainability, life sciences, healthcare, fashion, and industrial & manufacturing. Initiatives projects are agile, strategic and impact focused.
Reporting to the EVP of Initiatives, the VP will manage and coordinate project teams involving multiple internal and external public and private stakeholders, represent the City to external stakeholders and clients, and develop and manage programmatic and policy initiatives. In addition, specific tasks include leading and managing multiple projects of varying complexity; overseeing the development of work plans and task assignments; organizing high profile meetings and networking at industry events; managing and mentoring Project Managers, Senior Project Managers, and Assistant Vice Presidents; and producing quantitative and qualitative research.
Your Role: The Vice President (VP), Smart & Sustainable Cities will co-lead the development and execution of a strategically planned portfolio of initiatives that: catalyze inclusive growth across sectors related to energy, food/water/waste, connectivity/IoT, mobility & logistics, and civic tech; support capabilities for these businesses to thrive; and build a strong base of future industry talent. This position will lead the team’s sustainability portfolio, including a complex set of energy, climate resiliency, and circular economy projects.
- Drives the development and execution of complex concepts, processes, and standards at a high level.
- Manages staff and coordinates work of cross-departmental or cross-agency teams to execute strategic initiatives and ensure project objectives are achieved and timelines are met.
- Act as an expert/leader/influencer throughout the organization; Maintains industry expertise and builds an in-depth understanding of economic development opportunities in these areas.
- Manages relationships with key external stakeholders and serves as public face of sustainability portfolio.
- Works independently on high level and complex projects. Articulates informed opinions, and clear rationale for decision-making on key portfolio strategies to colleagues at all levels.
- Leads new non-project initiatives to support team and department.
- Anticipates future problems/opportunities, makes recommendations and implements solutions. Can facilitate problem solving with junior staff, and provides strategic decision making on issues raised by the team.
- Drives project agenda and timelines for team project deliverables.
- Creates and delivers presentations that effectively communicate key project findings and recommendations to various audiences (e.g., senior EDC staff, City Hall staff, partner agencies, external stakeholders, etc.).
- Sets team norms and upholds standards.
- Works regularly with management and senior-level stakeholders concerning projects, operational decisions and HR initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- MBA, MPA, or graduate degree strongly preferred
- 9-15+ years of relevant work experience (e.g., 3-5 years with a top-tier management or innovation/design consulting firm, or strategic planning experience in a demanding analytic environment)
- Considered a subject matter expert in sustainability (direct work experience in energy, sustainability, climate adaptation, or resiliency required)
- Knowledge of current industry trends
- Team management and experience developing and mentoring junior-level staff
- Demonstrated interest or experience in economic development and/or public policy issues
- Strong demonstrated written and oral communications and presentation skills
- Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills, comfort building financial models and conducting ROI analysis, and skill working with data sets
- Ability to look strategically at the big picture and search for insightful, creative solutions
- Comfort interfacing with senior officials and business leaders
- Ability to prioritize among competing needs and opportunities and manage multiple projects at the same time
- Extensive project management experience; ability to set up the problem, manage projects against tight timelines and proactive and collaborative style that works well in teams
- Demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts of interests and develop productive working relationships with external and internal parties
- Enterprising and resourceful, organized and results oriented
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
For more information, visit edc.nyc.