The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority, known as NYSERDA, is leading the nation in building New York’s clean, resilient and affordable energy system. The call for action to address climate change has never been more urgent. New York has adopted a nation-leading clean energy agenda and, as the primary clean energy agency in New York, NYSERDA leads the way in implementing the State’s clean energy policy agenda. NYSERDA works to foster the transformation of markets, pushing them to accurately value clean energy, energy efficiency, and resilience—while encouraging competition and innovation that delivers value to consumers.
Achieving New York’s emissions reduction goals will require a carbon-neutral statewide building stock by mid-century, which in turn requires a massive increase in net zero new construction and retrofits. To achieve a carbon neutral building stock, NYSERDA is developing a New York State Net Zero Buildings Roadmap— charting a path to a carbon neutral building stock. Through the RetrofitNY program, successive rounds of demonstration projects are developed to improve the performance and lower the cost of net zero retrofits. RetrofitNY is a cutting-edge program seeking to reinvent the way buildings are renovated in New York State and across the country, by developing a feasible pathway to retrofit buildings to a net zero energy level of performance at scale.
This internship will provide an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and detail oriented individual to support the efforts of NYSERDA’s Multifamily team and RetrofitNY. This internship opportunity will directly support the efforts of the program by providing key analysis of industry data needed to operationalize next steps and market facing interventions.
This is a paid internship for current, matriculated students. Students are allowed to work up to 37.5 hours per week in between semesters, when not attending class.
- Collect data on the development and construction costs associated with typical affordable housing projects in NYS.
- Develop a budget analysis of multiple portfolios of buildings.
- Perform a portfolio analysis of the State University of New York (SUNY) portfolio of buildings to assist in future pipeline building.
- Assist in identifying programmatic opportunities by perform out of state building stock analysis.
- Conduct research on the construction industry to assist in targeting and relationship building.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
- Current, full-time Masters student. Background or focus on financial analysis, real estate or the construction sector preferred.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to research primary and secondary sources.
- Skill in managing multiple activities, delivering on commitments, and operating with speed, accuracy, and strong judgment.
- Strong work ethic.
- Experience with data collection and analysis preferred.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include NYSERDA Internship – Specific Internship Name in the Subject Line.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.