Earthwatch is an international environmental nonprofit organization that engages people in scientific field research and education. To achieve our mission, we offer research expeditions at exciting locations around the globe. Participants on these expeditions assist top scientists as they investigate important questions about how we can better protect our planet.
Position type: Full-time Salaried
The Science Writer/Grant Writer will be responsible for developing and writing digital and print materials, news articles, grant proposals and other development collateral materials. We seek a team player with a proven track record in science writing who will create engaging materials for a lay audience from our complex scientific research programs. Our ideal candidate has a passion for the environment: you want to make a difference in the world, and you’re not afraid to roll up your sleeves to do it.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
General Earthwatch Communications
- Write and/or edit Earthwatch content, including expedition briefings, web pages, annual reports, field reports, press releases, and other communications collateral across the organization.
- Partner with a graphic designer to develop content and implement design.
- Conduct interviews with Earthwatch participants, staff, scientists, and other contributors to write content for news articles, web pages, and other online and print materials.
- Liaise with Director of Communications to edit and proof written content prior to delivery, including that of other staff.
- Produce high-quality written communication for existing and potential funders, including grant applications, letters, web content, and more
- Write and submit grant proposals to foundations that demonstrate a compelling need for financial support annually
- Manage foundation funding prospects:
–Research potential foundation opportunities
–Maintain grants calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposal deadlines, reports, and stewardship activities.
–Maintain up to date records of grant applications in organization’s database
–Collaborate effectively with the program department from the proposal stage through to program delivery, reporting, and renewals.
- Work with Program Delivery department to gather data and metrics necessary for grant submissions and other materials development
- Coordinate the involvement of senior leadership in proposal process as appropriate.
- Remain well-informed on issues related to the Earthwatch mission and activities through interaction with the program and research departments
- Utilize creative talents and resources to develop and improve existing workflows and protocols
- Perform other related duties as directed
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent life experience in science writing, grant writing, fundraising, science, sustainability, or related fields
- 1-3 years of experience in writing and editing; a background in science writing a strong plus
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and communication skills
- Must be able to communicate the Earthwatch mission and programs to potential funders
- Self-motivation and discipline to regularly set and achieve work goals
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively as a member of a culturally diverse, multidisciplinary team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Experience with relational databases (such as Customer Relationship Management or Salesforce) a plus
- Commitment to Earthwatch’s mission and values
- Experience with fundraising, nonprofit sector, or field research a plus
- Multi-lingual and cross-cultural experience appreciated
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter via the form below.
Earthwatch is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to create a diverse and inclusive organization that is reflective of the global communities with whom we work. We actively seek individuals of diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and culture. We encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, sexes, religions, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.
Due to limited resources, we are only able to accept applicants who are already eligible to work in the United States
For more details and to submit applications :