|Launched in 2008, Business Call to Action (BCtA) is a global membership platform that encourages private sector companies to develop innovative business models that combine profitability with development impact, in support of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
BCtA members are market leaders and innovators, committed to developing commercially viable business ventures that engage people living at the Base of the Pyramid (BoP) as consumers, producers, suppliers, and distributors of goods and services. In 67 countries, business leaders are spearheading efforts to provide the poor with the tools and resources they need to succeed by promoting economic opportunity.
BCtA provides a leadership platform for companies to demonstrate their commitment to development and to access global expertise on innovation at the BoP.
Members benefit from:
- Recognition as part of a high-visibility leadership platform, including association with the UN brand and possible international speaking engagements;
- Access to a global knowledge network on inclusive business models and communities of practice;
- Partnerships with development agencies, international organizations, and other companies;
- Validation and dissemination of results, including within the UN Network, from specific BoP business models.
Business Call to Action is a unique multilateral alliance between key donor governments including the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), UK Department for International Development (DFID), US Agency for International Development (USAID), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Government of Finland, and the United Nations Development Programme which hosts the secretariat in collaboration with leading global institutions, such as the United Nations Global Compact. As part of its mission, BCtA is looking for a home-based communications consultant. The consultant will provide technical expertise and advisory services to ensure the updating and implementation of comprehensive BCtA communications strategy
|The consultant will deliver the following products and services to the BCtA Secretariat under the supervision of the Programme Manager of the Business Call to Action:
Strategic Communications and Content Development
- Provide technical advice, update and support the implementation of the BCtA Communications Strategy for 2018/19 period;
- With the oversight of the BCtA team, maintain a Communications Toolkit consisting of standard, re-branded templates targeting different BCtA audiences (member companies, prospective members per company category, donor governments and programme partners); as well as Communications and Events SOPs for BCtA events, collateral and logo usage, branding, marketing, and media outreach;
- Provide advice on BCtA brand positioning, website, social media channels, collateral and other materials;
- Based on inputs from the BCtA team, create relevant content including:
- 4 quarterly newsletters and ad-hoc mailings;
- A minimum of 40 member press releases/other products to support BCtA company announcements; – A minimum of 56 pieces of strategic content (BoP impact stories, blogs or op-eds featuring BCtA work, the work of member companies, donors and/or partners);
- Speeches/talking points for BCtA events and speaking opportunities;
- Multimedia content: produce 4x ‘BoP Voices’ videos, 2-3 minute videos profiling people living at the Bottom of the Economic Pyramid who are benefitting from BCtA member company engagement/inclusion
- Facilitate the production of one piece of animated video story that incorporates infographics and data visualization;
- Support the promotion and distribution of key BCtA knowledge management, research and reporting products, such as reports, online Impact Measurement Hub, case studies and more.
Media Management including Media Partnerships
- Provide communication advice and support for reputational management in line with UNDP policies and guidelines;
- Improve BCtA’s media coverage by developing a media engagement strategy and updating target media lists comprised of a comprehensive database of journalists, writers, and high-profile contributors. Advise on and reach out to key media at the global and country levels, advocating on key issues at the core of BCtA’s mandate, raising awareness of BCtA and its company initiatives, and increasing BCtA’s external presence on media outlets;
- Identify and support opportunities to create visibility for BCtA through its partner network, high-level Champions, relevant events and partnerships with like-minded organizations, business networks, UN and academic institutions;
- Manage an active pipeline of content for the BCtA media platforms with 3BL Media and Guardian microsite, including overseeing production of 20 pieces of content annually for Guardian.
- Assist daily media monitoring by scanning online media for relevant news, interviews and articles mentioning of BCtA member companies and relevant topics.
Website Content Management and Social Media Campaigns
- Design and implement a web content management strategy that increases audience traffic to and engagement with the BCtA public facing website. Ensure it is regularly updated with quality, creative multimedia content including new member profiles, press releases, videos, human impact stories, events, reports, blogs, briefs. Ensure website member portal and full website backend technically maintained with support from technical experts;
- Design and implement a social media strategy to increase audience volume and engagement with BCtA social media accounts. Ensure updated daily with quality content showcasing BCtA member company achievements and inclusive business thought leadership, generating follower engagement and increasing overall number of followers; engage BCtA staff and the online community according to specific targets, Communications Calendar, and outreach agreed with the Programme Manager;
- As part of this strategy, design and deliver online communications campaigns, including for priority BCtA issues and themes, BCtA General Assembly Annual Event/s, BCtA Phase III delivery, and other activities such as events and publications;
- Provide support to social media outreach and integration around BCtA events, speaking opportunities, member news and other relevant topics.
- Provide communications advice and support to BCtA Annual Event/s taking place in September 2018 on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly, including thorough outreach communications in the run-up and post-event; and generating media coverage of the event;
- Provide media and communications support to additional global, regional and national events including press releases, media engagement, social media campaigns, and outreach communications pre-and post event.
The consultant shall support the BCtA Secretariat in other communications/knowledge management tasks that may arise during the assignment period. The consultant shall be ready to undertake international travel on behalf of the Secretariat if required. The consultant will work closely with the communications office of UNDP as well as the other partners of the BCtA in implementing this assignment.
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
Payment to be made in instalments according to list specified below and upon submitted satisfactory progress report against deliverables approved by the Programme Manager.
Within 11 days of signing the contract (5% payment)
- Communications Strategy 2018 revised and approved with clear implementation timeline;
- BCtA website content management and social media plan, including issues-based campaigns, 2018 developed and implementation begun
- Strategic content production schedule (40 press releases, 20 microsite pieces, 36 blogs, news pieces and other content) developed and implementation begun. Includes content for media partnerships: 3BL media distribution and sustainable business microsite.
- 1x Quarterly Newsletter produced and disseminated
Within 22 days of signing the contract (5% payment)
- Concept for 4 ‘BoP voices’ videos developed and production timeline approved
- BCtA animated video concept developed and production timeline approved
- Media engagement strategy developed and being implemented; target media lists updated and actively engaged with listed media.
- Daily update of social media channels and targeted efforts for the expansion of BCtA social media reach and followers.
Within 66 days of signing the contract (20% payment):
- One piece of animated video story that incorporates infographics and data visualization produced;
- Communications Toolkit updated: Standard, re-branded templates targeting different BCtA audiences (member companies, prospective members per company category, donor governments and programme partners); Communications and Events SOPs for BCtA events, collateral and logo usage, branding, marketing, and media outreach
- Communications/Events SOPs BCtA secretariat staff training – using updated content as a basis.
- Daily media monitoring for relevant news, interviews and BCtA members mentions;
- 1x Quarterly Newsletter produced and disseminated
Within 99 days of signing the contract (15% payment):
- BCtA General Assembly Annual Event media and communications support including promotion, media engagement, social media campaign and event vlogs conducted
- Event overview produced and disseminated through BCtA website Annual Event section, social media and newsletter
- Social media strategy implementation ongoing. Social media account audience and engagement increased through use of innovative and creative techniques.
Within 143 days of signing the contract (20% payment)
- 56 pieces of strategic content and 40 member company PRs are produced and disseminated through the Sustainable Business Microsite, 3BL Media, BCtA website, inclusive business stakeholder websites, media outlets and social media channels.
- 1x Quarterly Newsletter produced and disseminated
Within 176 days of signing the contract (15% payment)
- 4 ‘BCtA Voices’ videos produced and dissemination campaign around them delivered.
- Communications campaigns around other BCtA global, regional and national events and publications delivered.
Within 220 days of signing the contract (20% payment)
- BCtA Website Content Strategy delivered, resulting in increased audience numbers and engagement.
- Final report produced, summing up the media monitoring, deliverables done, the lessons learned and recommendations to further the communication effort of the programme.
- 1x Quarterly Newsletter produced and disseminated.
A more detailed deliverable list and calendar will be provided upon contract signature.
- An advanced degree in communications, international affairs, public policy, journalism, or other relevant field.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant national/international working experience in the area of communications, of which minimum 1 year should include communications experience in the area of business and development;
- Previous experience working with UN/UNDP or similar organisations on projects in the area of communications/PR;
- Proven record of producing articles, blogs and communications products using software, online platforms and CMS (i.e. InDesign/Photoshop, MailChimp or other HTML editors, Drupal/WordPress, Vizualize and other infographic makers).At least 3 samples of previous work must be provided;
- Expert knowledge of social media management and monitoring: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Hootsuite, Union Metric, etc.
- Fluency in English is required (written and verbal);
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
Evaluation of Applicants
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on a cumulative analysis taking into consideration the combination of the applicants’ qualifications and financial proposal.
The award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
b) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical (P11 and cover letter desk review and interviews) and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
Only highest ranked candidates who would be found qualified for the job based on the desk review will be invited for an interview.
Technical Criteria – 70% of total evaluation – max. 35 points:
Criteria A – Minimum of 5 years of relevant national/international working experience in the area of communications, of which minimum 1 year should be in the area of business and development – max points 9;
Criteria B – Minimum 1 years of experience working with UNDP/UN Agencies/similar organisations on projects in the area of communications/PR – max points: 9;
Criteria C – Experience producing high-quality articles, blogs and communications products using software, online platforms and CMS (i.e. InDesign/Photoshop, MailChimp or other HTML editors, Drupal/WordPress, Vizualize and other infographic makers).At least 3 samples of previous work must be provided; – max points: 4;
Criteria D – Experience in social media management and monitoring: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Hootsuite, Union Metric, etc. – max points: 3;
Criteria E – Interview Criteria – Language skills, communication skills and technical knowledge – max points: 7;
Criteria F – Methodology (evaluation of the brief approach on how the candidate would approach and conduct the activities (shall be uploaded by the applicant during online application) – max points: 3.
Only candidates who will get at least 70% of points in Criteria A, B, C, D, F will be considered for the Interview; and only candidates who will get at least 70% of points in the Interview will be considered for financial evaluation.
Qualified candidates are requested to apply online via this website. The application should contain:
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position and a brief approach on how you will approach and conduct the work. Please group all your documents (signed P11, Cover letter, Brief Approach, Min. 3 samples of previous work) into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document.
- Min. 3 samples of previous work in relevant area. Please group all your documents (signed P11, Cover letter, Brief Approach, Min. 3 samples of previous work) into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document.
- Filled and signed P11 form including past experience in similar projects and contact details of referees
(blank form can be downloaded from http://www.eurasia.undp.org/content/dam/rbec/docs/P11_modified_for_SCs_and_ICs.doc); please upload the P11 instead of your CV.
- Financial Proposal* – specifying a) total lump sum amount in US dollars for the tasks specified in this announcement, b) travel from/to the duty station.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials
- Please group all your documents (signed P11, Cover letter, Brief Approach, Min. 3 samples of previous work) into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document.