The Open Society Scholarship Programs support individuals passionate about improving their knowledge and their ability to advance positive social change in their home countries.
University-based education will empower these individuals to explore and develop intelligent and humane ideas generated by free and open inquiry, critical analysis, and a nuanced understanding of the complex challenges facing open societies.
Through professional degree and international research awards, we help individuals in constrained environments access academic resources more readily available in open societies. We prioritize grants to individuals in countries particularly challenged by repressive governance and constant threats to human rights.
Using transparent, open and merit-based competitions, we offer awards for advanced study in the social sciences and humanities. Awards include enhancements such as preparatory summer programs, regional conferences, and internship opportunities, all designed to strengthen the networks and communities of the open society leaders we seek to build.
The Scholarship Programs collaborate with universities, private donors, and government agencies around the world, as well as with other Open Society programs and affiliated organizations.
We are recruiting for a Program Specialist to join our team based in New York. The successful candidate will provide advanced programmatic support in implementing Scholarship Programs’ strategy, focusing on ensuring a positive experience for grantees during all phases of programs, including during competition, while on academic program, and as program alumni.
We are interested in candidates with experience in the area of higher education as a pathway for implementing positive social change, the intersection of higher education with civil society, and university engagement in the community.
Working under the supervision of a Team Manager in New York, the Program Specialist will provide support in the coordination and administration of scholarship activities, including: master’s degree awards, academic mobility awards, regional conferences, alumni initiatives, and data tracking. The position may require international travel. Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
- Conducting a wide range of activities related to the scholarship competition, support of grantees on program, and community-building and integrative activities.
- Conducting research and synthesizing large amounts of data/information to be used in decision-making, strategy development, and evaluation of programs.
- Opening and monitoring individual grants through review of narrative and financial reports and other communication with grantees.
- Developing concepts and agendas for convenings, alumni initiatives, and other community-building and integration efforts.
- Contributing to assessment of programming. This includes primary responsibility for the assessment of partner universities as grantee hosts for scholarships and evaluating the experience of grantees at partner institutions.
- Helping with ad hoc administrative tasks when required.
- May participate in preparing and presenting portfolio reviews.
- 3-5 years of progressively responsible experience in a situation relevant to the duties of this role is typically required to develop the skills required for this role.
- Knowledgeable of and experience with higher education institutions in the United States preferred.
- Knowledgeable on issues relating to the higher education and positive social change, university engagement in the community, and the intersection of higher education and civil society.
- Able to manage work-load and deadlines, flexibility and multitasking skills.
- Highly skilled in researching, processing large amounts of information, and analyzing its importance in informing Scholarship Programs operations and strategy.
- Diplomatic, discreet, able to handle confidential matters with a high level of integrity and able to exercise sound professional judgment.
- Organized; strong project management ability; self-directed on work initiatives; strong attention to detail.
- Proficient written and spoken communication in English.
Application Instructions: Please include a cover letter and resume, and upload as one document when submitting an application.