UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women is committed to the achievement of equality between women, men, boys and girls as partners and beneficiaries of humanitarian action. In October 2012, UN Women established its Gender and Humanitarian Action Unit to consolidate its advocacy, coordination and capacity development role for the integration of gender equality across humanitarian action. This has now further developed to include a unit for disaster risk reduction with a focus on prevention, mitigation and preparedness in Geneva, and a humanitarian unit in New York focusing on humanitarian norms and standards, coordination, and emergency management, and consolidated under the Humanitarian Action and Crises response Office (HACRO).
HACRO is looking to strengthen the team and will hire a research assistant consultant. Under direct supervision of Chief humanitarian, the consultant will assist in the provision of technical support to UN Women’s efforts to integrate gender equality and women’s empowerment in Humanitarian Action. The incumbent will contribute to conducting research for policy and analytical papers, SG reports and high-level briefing notes as required. The incumbent will also support with the finalization of knowledge products and capacity development materials pertaining to Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in Humanitarian Action.
Duties and Responsibilities
The objective of the consultancy is to provide high level and timely input to analytical papers, provide technical support to data collection and analysis, and provide input to policy dialogues as identified in the HACRO roadmap and the Humanitarian Framework.
- Conduct background research and analysis on a variety of issues related to gender equality and women’s empowerment in humanitarian action, including innovation
- Conduct background analysis and data collection on three research papers
- Provide background analysis and input to policy dialogues, programme documents, high-level events
- Provide secretariat support functions to the IASC Gender Reference Group
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge or the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Core Values and Ethics
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity and ability to work in a multi-national environment
- Support the Organization’s corporate goals
- Comply with UN WOMEN rules, regulations and code of conduct
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Build effective client relationships and partnerships
- Interact with all levels of staff in the organization
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Build and share knowledge
- Make valuable practice contributions
Communicating and Information Sharing
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Listen actively and respond effectively
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical speciality relating to the position
- Basic knowledge or organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
Required Skills and Experience
- Master on Humanitarian Action and/or Gender Studies;
- A minimum of 2 years of specialized professional experience with gender issues in international affairs, at the national and/or international level, including voluntary work;
- Demonstrated experience in delivering analytical papers, experience in drafting input to technical and policy dialogues, and research experience across a range of humanitarian issues, including on innovation;
- Proven interest in gender equality and the empowerment of women in humanitarian settings is required;
- Knowledge on gender studies and feminist theories with an expertise on the study of masculinities and the engagement of men and boys in humanitarian action is strongly preferred;
- Expertise on leveraging blockchain technology and innovation for gender equality and women’s empowerment is a strong advantage;
- A demonstrated sound understanding of humanitarian standards is required;
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high-level products in a timely manner, with minimum supervision.
- Fluency in the English language is required, with demonstrated strong, confident command of both written and oral English
- Proficiency in other UN languages is also a strong advantage
- High level of proficiency in computer systems, internet navigation and various office applications