The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in some 170 countries, working with them on their own solutions to global and national development challenges. At UNDP, external and internal communication—nationally, regionally and globally—is critical to achieving both development results and business objectives. Skillful communication broadens the impacts of new policies, helps governance reforms take root, and attracts and fosters strong partnerships. The Communications Group at UNDP is at the forefront of advancing digital communications and outreach for the organization and is seeking a graduate student with an interest in global issues and communications to assist in planning, producing and evaluating web sites and digital content for UNDP’s online global network.
Duties and Responsibilities
The selected candidate will assist the Digital and Online team during the agreed time on the following duties;
- Provide assistance in curating, producing and presenting stories, images and videos in UNDP’s web content management system.
- Review and edit web stories, headlines and captions, liaising with the rest of the team to ensure consistency across languages.
- Work with content providers to research or rewrite material from the standpoint of reader interest, clarity, political sensitivity, thoroughness and accuracy as well as relevance to UNDP’s focus areas.
- Liaise with social media colleagues to co-ordinate content, messaging and workflows.
- Assist in reviewing translations in English, proofreading and reformulating if necessary for optimal web presentation.
- Assist the web editors in maintaining contact with content providers in order to solicit material and/or for approval of drafts.
Assist with other related tasks as needed.
- Solid writing and editing skills
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task
- Attention to detail is crucial
- Responsible, responsive, and enthusiastic
- Interest in global issues and the United Nations
Must be able to work in a multi-cultural environment and be aware of political sensitivities
Required Skills and Experience
Enrollment in a graduate degree programme in a development or communications-related field, such as journalism, interactive telecommunications, international relations, political science, anthropology, sociology, public or business administration.
Candidate must either be:
a)Enrolled in graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent or higher).
- b)Enrolled in the final academic year of a university degree programme ( minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent)
- A holder of a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one year of graduation.
Fluency in written and spoken English; knowledge of French and/or Spanish desirable
- Experience in communications desirable;
- Experience creating content for the web and/or managing different media platforms desirable;
- Experience with photo editing desirable
- Familiar with international development/relations desirable;
- Previous experience in UN system or NGO is a plus.