Our mission is to build a movement of 100MM Global Citizens whose actions will help achieve our vision of a world without extreme poverty by 2030.
Global Citizen is a movement of engaged citizens who are using their collective voice to end extreme poverty by 2030. On our platform, Global Citizens learn about the systemic causes of extreme poverty, take action on those issues, and earn rewards for their actions — as part of a global community committed to lasting change.
One of the key ways we can grow that movement is through the editorial content on GlobalCitizen.org and its partner channels: stories, videos, and social media that bring the important human rights issues of the world to readers where they are. This is journalism with a purpose; content-creation to help make the world a better place for all.
he Global Citizen Editorial Intern will research, pitch, and write stories for GlobalCitizen.org, help out with video creation and social media scheduling, and assist with myriad internal and administrative tasks. This is a writing-intensive position. Familiarity with daily news sites and journalism practices are required. A strong interest in one or more of our issue areas — Girls & Women, Health, Environment, Food & Hunger, Education, Water & Sanitation, Finance & Innovation, and Citizenship — is helpful.
We are a small, hardworking, nimble team excited about trying out new content ideas on the web and looking for excited, ambitious writers to help us build an effective strategy to grow the Global Citizen movement. This internship has the potential for great opportunities for an ambitious candidate.
- Pitching, researching, and writing content across our issue areas that help draw attention to the world’s biggest challenges
- Working with partners inside and outside of the organization to help them create effective content to support their goals
- Creating content that supports Global Citizen festival, including outside of normal working hours in they days and weeks leading up to festivals
- Staying up to date on global development news and events, and publish regular updates to the platform
- Other tasks and assignments as directed by the editorial director
So far, more than 13 million actions have been taken by Global Citizens, leading to $35 billion commitments being made by world leaders, which are set to affect 1.3 billion lives by 2030.
We’re currently looking for a passionate, focused and organized intern to work with Global Citizen’s Editorial Team for the Spring 2018 Semester.
- A strong interest and background in journalism and professional writing
- An interest in and aptitude for writing about complex world events and policy issues in concise, approachable ways for general readers
- Deep familiarity with social media and how social media users consume content
- BA, BS, BFA in Journalism, English, Political Science, or other Liberal Arts major (Expected or Completed)
- Proven experience of managing multiple projects
- Ability to adhere to tight deadlines
- Team player who is flexible and can pivot as needed
- Experience with WordPress, CMS, or equivalent blogging software
- Familiarity with global development issues
- Basic HTML, or capability to learn
- Basic Photoshop skills, or capability to learn
- Demonstrates creative and engaging writing style for a millennial audience
- Able to cover and write about a range of global issues in a timely manner
- Interest in international development and economic empowerment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professional demeanor and ability to interact with variety of individuals and organisations
- Can-do attitude and willingness to roll up sleeves and work hard to tight deadlines
- Funny, friendly, and fun to hang out with
- Ability to show initiative
- Creative flare and not afraid to pitch out-of-the-box ideas
- Reports to Global Citizen Editorial Director
- Minimum 3 days per week
- $15/hr wage
- Must be authorized for employment in the United States
- Based in New York City